On the first day of Trainer Workshops with the teachers from Ngarenanyuki and Leguruki we asked the teachers to work in four groups to discuss the big question of "What has been happening in your school or ward during the April-June 2016 term?"
There were four categories that the trainers were asked to discuss and answer. There was lots of talking and sharing among the teachers.
1.What activities have you been practicing in your class?
- group work, asking and answering questions (Bloom's)
- outdoor and indoor activities
- group work, questioning, sharing in Form Four Geography
- Think-Pair-Share in English, Kiswahili and history at Kisimiri Primary and Secondary Schools.
- Questions and answers (Bloom's) in English and Chemistry at Leguruki High School
- T-chart in Kiswahili, History, Biology and Chemistry at Leguruki & Kisimiri Secondary Schools
- Carousel in English, Language, History and biology in both Kisimiri Primary and Secondary Schools
- t-chart, placemat, outside/inside circle and banana game at Ngarenanyuki Primary School
- placemat, outside/inside circle and banana game at Kimosonu Primary School
- Banana, game, spider web, gallery walk, t-chart and think,pair, share at Nkoasenga Secondary School
2. Have you given in class demos for other teachers?
- Mr. Urio, Leguruki Ward Education Officer, did demos during school visits
- Godlizen, Ngarenanyuki EBB Coordinator, did demos at Kisimiri Jui Private School and Kisimiri Secondary School
- Other teachers shared that they had done demos and acted as a role model to other teachers in their schools on the use of collaborative learning activities.
- Inviting other teachers to observe how to use different methodologies in the class
3. Have you given workshops, observed or were observed in your schools?
- Gave a one day workshop at Kisimiri Jui Private School
- Gave a short workshop to my school staff
- Was observed by other teachers of my school
- Gave a two day workshop at Nimi Academy
- Collaborative workshops at Nkoasenga Secondary School
- Collaborative learning activities at Nkoasenga Secondary School
- Group Formation & management at Nkoasenga Secondary School
- Workshops at Kisimiri Primary School
- Collaborative workshops in my school
4. Did you hold any meetings, work with the District Education Officer or look for partners?
- Discussion about partnering with NMB Bank, Vodacom Company and Tigo Company (Makungu (Leguruki Ward Coordinator & Godlizen Ngarenayuki Ward Coordinator)
- Confirming DEO support and permissions (Mr. Urio)
- Facilitator's meeting
At the end of the trainer workshops the teachers met in their two wards and discussed plans for the upcoming term. Plans included demos, workshops in their schools, acquiring partners and DEO support. We look forward to a successful term for the coordinators, trainers and teachers of EBB Tanzania!